Tiny cylindrical shaped vanilla cakes, bathed in Jam and coated with coconut powder, these beauties are a great addition to any afternoon tea. Originally baked in Dariole Moulds, English Mandelienes can be simply baked in regular cup cake moulds and the edges cab be trimmed to give them an original feel(Don’t waste the edges! Add them to your ice cream along with fresh fruits and you’ll have a dessert after dinner 😉
Cooking Time- 30-40 mins
- 115g flour
- 115g sugar
- 85g butter/margarine
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp lemon essence
- 100g coconut powder
- 100g mix fruit jam(You may use any jam you like)
Serves- 2-3(The above ingredients make around 6 Madelienes)
- Preheat oven to 180 C or 350 F. Grease the dariole moulds or regular muffin moulds.
- Cream butter and sugar and beat till pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla essence and baking powder.
- Fold in half the flour, using a tablespoon and then fold in the rest.
- Scoop the batter into moulds or muffin moulds, filling them three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen(Use a clean knife to see if it is fully cooked by inserting in in the center. If it comes out clean, then you are good to go).
- Let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- When the cakes are at room temprature, brush each cake with jam all across. Make sure to warm the jam a bit in a sauce pan to ease the process.
- Roll the cakes in desiccated coconut and top each madeliene with a cherry or raspberry.